Friday, April 2, 2010

Photoshop.com Uploader (AIR) so much...

I just updated the Photoshop.com Uploader from 0.1.0.something to 0.11..1.6...somethingnewer.

I'm on a Mac PowerBook Penryn, 6GB, mostly free, with a hardwired connection, T3 or better.

I have 47 JPEGs of .8 to 2.4MB in size, median of 1.1MB. I just uploaded these files to my website in Adobe Lightroom using their ''Web'' toolset.

The files were not resized for the gallery, indeed pages and thumbnails were added.?It took just a few seconds to upload all the files.

The same files (minus the web pages and thumbnails) in the Photoshop.com Uploader AIR application took minutes. In fact, it just finished in the time it took me to switch to a different computer, find this Adobe Forum, search for this problem several times and then log in and begin this post. I'd say more than five minutes for 47 pictures.

Why is it so much slower??I'm in San Jose. My web server is in Washington D.C..It took 14 hops and 85ms.

The L.A. Photoshop.com server took 18 hops but just 17ms.

Is the client doing some pre-processing? Why are we still paying so much for sneakers? What are your overheads man? (Flight of the Conchords)

Photoshop.com Uploader (AIR) so much...

Chris,

First off I love the Flight of the Conchords reference -- nice!

A lot of what you're seeing are because we're uploading one file at a time, and not multiple files (in addition we're waiting for some server processing to complete before we go on to the next file).?We did this to keep things simple as we were setting up the service, and haven't gotten back to it.?On most home connections, this isn't as bad since one file upload will often saturate the upload bandwidth.?On your T3 it's not even coming close. Regardless though, this is something that's finally back on our radar.?It looks like this should get fixed relatively soon.

Thanks,

-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment