Friday, March 26, 2010

Creating 508-Compliant InDesign PDFs...

Over the next few weeks my company will be reformatting all of the attachments on our Web site to meet ''508'' complaince standards for accessibility (a govenment contract requirement). While we are quickly getting a handle on how to create 508-compliant PDFs from MS Word and other MS Office documents, I keep running into problems when converting our InDesign documents. Our InDesign documents (often education posters) are usually more complex than the other standard documents created in Word, which is why we used InDesign to create them in the first place, but I'm having difficulty finding supporting documentation that is detailed enough to help me problem-solve the 508 issues I encounter. Adobe has some basic InDesign ''accessibility'' information on its Web site, and it offers a document called ''Creating Accessible PDF Documents with With Adobe InDesign CS4'' that offers a good introduction to the concepts and process. But I just can't seem to find information that is in-depth enough to help me create or modify InDesign documents that don't require endless hours of hit-or-miss fixing in Acrobat. I've checked standard third-party references such as my Acrobat and InDesign ''Bibles,'' but no one seems to go into great depth on using the more detailed screens and options related to creating accessible documents. Are there other resources out there that can help? There must be an Indesign Accessibility Guru hiding somewhere (inaccessible!).

No comments:

Post a Comment