Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why Won't PreE Burn my Slide Show...

I created a slide show using PE 6 and sent it to PreE 4. However, when I try to burn it to a DVD using PreE 4 it just quits on me? Then I can't even open PreE?? I really don't know what's happening?? My complete slide show is saved in PreE 4 and I can find it at  adobe\Premiere Elements\4.0\ project name. However, when I try to open it nothing happens. I thought perhaps my slide show was too big for PreE but that doesn't appear to be the problem. My saved PreE 4 slideshow is 8.29 MB and PE 6 slideshow gives a play time of 56:43 Min after creation.

A standard  DVD is at 120 minutes and 4.7 GB

Can anyone tell me what the devils happening here or at least give me some direction to solve this dilemna.

Thanks for any help provided.

Sanray19

Why Won't PreE Burn my Slide Show...

This ARTICLE might give you clues as to what is happening, when PrE shuts down.

This ARTICLE might help you get your computer ready for NLE work.

Please tell us in great detail all about your system.

Good luck,

Hunt

Why Won't PreE Burn my Slide Show...

As Hunt's articles no doubt imply, 95% of the time the reason people have problems creating DVDs of their slideshows is because their photos are larger than the recommended 1000x750 pixels size.

Thanks for your inputs from a beginner using PreE 4. I successfully burned a trial DVD with approximately a dozen photos that I used to put into a slide show in PSE 6 and then sent to PremiereE 4 where the DVD was burned. The photos were 6x4.5 inch (300 pixel / inch), 1800 x 1360 pixels,  I then created my major project slide show in PSE 6 which consisted of 362 of the these same size photos and sent it to PreE 4. The slide show played fine in both programs. However, when I tried to burn it to DVD using Premiere Elements 4 the program just stopped working and I couldn't open it again without shutting down and restarting my computer.   So, now I'm wondering how to proceed in completing the desired DVD. I note Steve says the recommended pixels for slide shows to DVD is 1000x750. So, I am considering the following alternatives. 1. Create a new slide show using 1000x750 pixel size photos. This will be fairly time consuming as I will have to operate on 362 individual photos which I am willing to do if it will lead to success. 2. Break my existing slide show apart to be recorded on several DVD's.  However, I don't know how to determine how many of my existing slides can be successfully burned to each DVD using PreE?  I am using a Vista Ultimate system with 587 GB of free space and 328 GB of used space.  I intend to implement Hunt's ''Clean, Lean %26amp; Mean Editing Machine – One Workflow'' process before any further attempt to burn a slide show to DVD using PreE 4.   Any advice of how best to proceed, with the greatest chance for success, will be appreciated. Sanray19

Since you have PSE, let's see if we can save you some work. You have to help me a bit here, as I do not use PSE, but the full PS, and it does not have a SlideShow function built in. However, what I would do is first Save everything in both PSE and PrE. Then, do a Save_As and increment the Projects' names by say 1. These Save_As Projects will be the ones you'll work with, just to make sure we do not mess anything up. You'll still have the originals of both.

Next, look over this ARTICLE on resizing still images. It's written for PS, but I believe that all works the same in PSE. You will do this operation outside of your SlideShow, for reasons that will become obvious in a moment.

What you will do first is to Move all of the still images, that you used in your SlideShow to another folder for safe keeping, and to empty the folder, where they were stored, when you did the SlideShow. Using PSE, set up an action to size the images down. Steve's suggestion of 1000x750 is a good one. If you do NOT need to pan on any image, when it's zoomed out, you can save resources by choosing the exact Frame Size as your Project Preset. When you run your Action from the Automate%26gt;Batch (or whatever PSE might term it), choose as the Source Folder the new location of the Moved files and  direct the Output to that now empty folder. Keep the filenames the exact same.

What we want to do is to replace the original larger files with smaller ones in the original location and same filenames. I do not know the structure of the Project files in PSE, but this works fine for PrE and PrPro, as their Project files are just XML databases. At this point, open up your Save_As Project file and see if the sizes work. Check everything.

If this did not work for the SlideShow in PSE, go to PrE and Open the Save_As Project there. It should work fine in PrE.

As I said, the one gotcha' is that I do not work with SlideShows in PSE, but create all of mine directly in PrPro. There may be a very good reason why my method will not work in your case - that is why we did those Save_As Project files for both programs.

If my method does not work, you still have your resized images. This will be a leg up on redoing any Project with smaller images, but I'd like to save you as much work, as I can.

Good luck, and please report how my method works, or does not. I'd like to learn a bit more about the SlideShow from PSE to PrE, just for my education.

Hunt

Thanks Hunt for your great and DETAILED reply. You saved me LOTS OF TIME! PSE 6 has a dropdown from the file menu with a ''Proceess Multiple Files'' selection.  Here I was able to use your directions and convert my PSE 6 slide show photos to the smaller size in a matter of a minute or two. The PE 6 photos remained unchanged at 1800x1350 and the PSE 6 slideshow was unaltered. However, much to my surprise, when I opened the PreE 4 folder of the slideshow and compared the folder size of my earlier PreE 4 file that sent the program crashing (8.49 KB) with the size of this new folder of the same slide show it was 16.094 KB. I couldn't determine how to find the photo sizes in this folder and had little hope that this larger size folder would do any better, but decided to take a chance and see if it could be burned to a  DVD. I instructed the program to fit the show to the DVD and LO AND BEHOLD it DID IT in about a half hour. The quality on my DVD player is just great!!

I note you say you use Premiere for creating your slide shows. I'm wondering if I should do the same and skip PSE 6? I am wondering if all the options of the PSE 6 slide show can be duplicated in Premiere Elements 4? I'm particularly concerned with varying slide duration and transition times for specifc slides and adding audio to specific slides and perhaps pan and zoom. Any thoughts here?

I really can't thank you enough for all your help. I'm in the process of trying to digest your techical paper ''Large Still Images into PE - One Workflow''. That's just superb work!!

Please do continue to support this forum with your very informed knowledge..

Sanray19 

I'm particularly concerned with varying slide duration and transition times for specifc slides and adding audio to specific slides and perhaps pan and zoom. Any thoughts here?

Thanks Hunt. I guess you're saying to change the duration of an individal slide in a slide show with PreE 4 you have to break the slide show apart before you can adjust an individual slide's duration. Is that correct? Then you would need to combine the slides into one show again. I tried Adobe Premeire help on how to set the duration of a clip but it doesn't seem to work for a still photo. They say select a clip and use ''Time Stretch'' but I'm assuming that's for a movie and not a still photo? They also say ''unlike video, still images are not limited to the length of the original clip. You can set their duration to any length.'' But, they don't say how? I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the Timeline which I am totally unfamiliar with? Anyhow, I'm kind of stumped on how to change the duration of an individual slide in the slide show itself in PreE 4. I'm sure there must be a way but I haven't discovered it yet. I've already taken a lot of your time and if you're busy on other things I'll probably be able to struggle through eventually. Once again, thanks for all your help and tutoring. I, and I'm sure many others, really appreciate your efforts. You really help alleviate the frustration factor!!

Sanray19

Thanks Hunt. I guess you're saying to change the duration of an individal slide in a slide show with PreE 4 you have to break the slide show apart before you can adjust an individual slide's duration. Is that correct? Then you would need to combine the slides into one show again. I tried Adobe Premeire help on how to set the duration of a clip but it doesn't seem to work for a still photo. They say select a clip and use ''Time Stretch'' but I'm assuming that's for a movie and not a still photo? They also say ''unlike video, still images are not limited to the length of the original clip. You can set their duration to any length.'' But, they don't say how? I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the Timeline which I am totally unfamiliar with? Anyhow, I'm kind of stumped on how to change the duration of an individual slide in the slide show itself in PreE 4. I'm sure there must be a way but I haven't discovered it yet. I've already taken a lot of your time and if you're busy on other things I'll probably be able to struggle through eventually. Once again, thanks for all your help and tutoring. I, and I'm sure many others, really appreciate your efforts. You really help alleviate the frustration factor!!

Sanray19

I guess you're saying to change the duration of an individal slide in a slide show with PreE 4 you have to break the slide show apart before you can adjust an individual slide's duration.

Then you would need to combine the slides into one show again.

I am working on a full response to your question which will take in the integration aspects of your Photoshop Elements 6 and 4, including slide duration, transition durations, and such.

I may have it complete by tonight. If not tonight, tomorrow morning. It should answer your questions and hopefully give you an overview of the possibilities.

ATR

that should have been Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4...

ATR

ATR,

That would be great. You might want to post it to the Tips %26amp; Tricks sub-forum, and then link to it here.

Unfortunately, and for the reasons mentioned above, I am not the person to comment on a PSE -%26gt; PrE SlideShow workflow. There are probably wonderful things in that workflow, that I cannot comment on.

Thank you,

Hunt

ATR,

If possible, can you address the differences, should one have PSE 7 %26amp; PrE 7, vs having PrE 4 and PSE X? That would be helpful, as well.

Thank you,

Hunt

Hunt,

I was just about to paste my comments when I saw your latest addition to this thread. We are indeed on the same wave length. Check it out.

ATR

The slideshow created in Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor exists there as a creation and goes no where until you output it to something else. If your goal is a DVD-VIDEO version of your slideshow and you want to use Premiere Elements to generate the DVD-VIDEO, before Photoshop Elements 5/Premiere Elements 3, you had to output your slideshow as a file sized .wmv video and import that into Premiere Elements. The use of the .wmv limited the possibilities for further edits of the slideshow that arrived on the Premiere Elements Timeline as one whole video rather than individual photos. Further, there were those that questioned the use of the .wmv version for quality reasons. I never found that to be the case.

But, if you have the specific combinations of Photoshop Elements 5/Premiere Elements 3 OR Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4 OR Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 7, you obtain the perk of being able to send your Photoshop Elements slideshow to Premiere Elements in a non wmv form which can be broken apart allowing for further significant edits. The keys to doing this are:

a. Specific sets 5/3 or 6/4 or 7/7

b. Use of the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor Output option of “Send to Premiere Elements” which then makes available the “Break Apart Photoshop Elements Slideshow” command in Premiere Elements (right click video on Timeline, select “Break Apart Photoshop Elements Slideshow”). If you had some mismatch of Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements versions, like 6/7, the Photoshop Elements Output option of “ Send to Premiere Elements” would be available, but once the slideshow got to Premiere Elements, the “Break Apart Photoshop Elements Slideshow” would not.

Immediately after the output is completed in the Media panel you will see:

a. Folder containing the individual photo and video assets

b. A file representing the intact slideshow in video form

On the Timeline you will see your intact slideshow video form.

The Time Stretch Tool is used to change duration. You can use:

a. (less precise) The Time Stretch Tool Icon above the Timeline. Click that, watch your mouse cursor turn into a vertical bar with a cross (diagonal arrow and red bar) superimposed, then click on drag end of image.

b. (more precise). The Time Stretch feature via right clicking the image on the Timeline, selecting Time Stretch, and typing in the duration.

c. in either case, any gaps created on the Timeline are gotten rid of by right clicking the gap and clicking on the “Delete and Close Gap” pop up.

When you go to decrease the duration or when you are changing the duration of an image at the end of the Timeline, everything will be going as you expected. HOWEVER, when it comes to increasing the duration or changing the duration of an image in the middle of the Timeline, you will need to move the images to make room for the expansion and then close the gaps.

Before I go on to some other things, I should go back to the Media panel and its contents immediately after receiving the Photoshop Elements Slideshow. You can open the folder with assets (photos %26amp; videos) in the Project Media View. If you right click one of the files, select Time Stretch, change the duration of the image, the duration of that file will be changed and be reflected if you drag that file from Project View Media area to the Timeline. BUT, this will not change the duration of that image which is already on the Timeline.

There are so many other aspects of this that I will save for another time. One of the things that we could talk about is creating slideshow and the DVD-VIDEO slideshow all within Premiere Elements and bring into play:

  1. Premiere      Elements’ Create Slideshow feature to set image duration OR transition      duration all at one time
  2. Changing      the Premiere Elements default duration (5 sec) via Edit      Menu/Preferences/General
  3. Pans %26amp; Zooms with Edit Menu/Effects/Presets/Horizontal and Vertical Pans or Zooms as well as creating Pans %26amp; Zooms with keyframing.

I am probably running into the Flash Player and Premiere Pro Forum space by now. Please focus me in on your specific issues and I will continue with my what works for me comments.

ATR

ATR,

Cool. Others will benefit from your work!

Thanks, as always,

Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment