Friday, March 26, 2010

Cannot See ITC Zapf Dingbat Item

I am converting all of my files from CS2 - CS3.3 MAC to PC CS3.3.?I have a dingbat that I used to be able to see. But now every file I open for the first time in CS3.3 PC, I cannot see my dingbat. I have to type it in AGAIN to see the item.

I have tried bring to front, send the others to back, changing the color. I am able to retype in the letter that makes it the Star that I need, but I have to do that on ALL my artwork. But mainly it icks me off that it is doing this when it obviously recognizes the item as a ITC Zapf Dingbat, and since I have that font installed on my computer.

Attached is the Dingbat, not visible, but you can see that Illustrator recognizes it.

Cannot See ITC Zapf Dingbat Item

It could be a conflict between your previous Mac font and your new PC font.?Not sure if you're talking about a system font, a Postscript font or an Open Type font, but it might not matter.?It's somewhat of a pain-in-the-neck, but could be a conflict of some sort.

Cannot See ITC Zapf Dingbat Item

What languages are your systems set to? Do the Unicode regions match? Is the symbol part of the normal range or the extended range? Anyway, perhaps you should convert such stuff into an AI symbol to retain it and avoid the issues....

Mylenium

It is an Open Type.

And to try and prevent issues, I converted all of my MAC fonts to PC compatible fonts, especially since there were tons of fonts that I used for Graphics design work on the MAC that were not available on PC without spending $$$$$$ to get an Adobe font library.

I am just confused why AI seems to see it just dfine and recognize that it is Zapf Dingabat, it doesn;'t come up with some weird font info, and it gets the correct color of it.?So if it can see all of the info related to the font I do not understand why as soon as I retype it, using the same converted font it comes out just fine.?I am unfortunately one of those people that needs to know why, even though I know how to fix it.

They are both set to English.?Gotta be honest not sure where to look for Unicode info, and how do I know if it is an extended range?

How do I convert it to an AI symbol?

S

Convert the original icon into outlines and then throw it into the symbols palette.

Thanx for the info.

No comments:

Post a Comment